Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Rebuild of Motor Launch Tessa

by Simon Papendick (JSTAR)

The story of The Motor Launch Tessa starts many years ago when I first saw her on the river near where I started my apprenticeship (to be a Boat Builder & Marine Engineer) in a small Boatyard called Maycraft Boat Building Services Ltd on the Norfolk Broads in the UK.

The Motor launch's life started back in 1912 when it was part of four boats built for a wealthy boat owner who commissioned another local boatyard called Herbert Woods Ltd of Potter Heigham Norfolk to build, a 40' motor cruiser, 35' Broads Yacht, a 20' Gaff Rigged Sailing Day Boat and the 14' Motor Launch.


On Engine Trails before being returned to Owners following Rebuild

The four boats stayed in the same ownership until the first owner died and then the four boats were sold to different owners. Unfortunately, I do not know what happened to the other three boats. The motor launch stayed in the same area as she was built and went through a few changes of ownership before I saw it again.

The first time I saw the boat it was owned by a couple who did not look after the boat very well and let it get into a very rundown condition. What made matters worse was that they had even let it sink. 


This is how I found the boat before rebuild started in owner's back garden after he lost heart with the project and gave me a pile of bit to rebuild it with.

I was asked to raise the boat and find out why it had sunk in the first place. It was a rotten plank on the waterline which had given way and let it sink. Having raised the boat, it was taken to the boatyard and the rotten plank replaced and returned to its owners.

They sold the boat and I lost contact with it for a couple of years. Until I was talking to a friend who was asked if he was prepared to take on a rebuild job on a small motor launch which the owner had started stripping it out and then lost interest.


View over the Stem towards the Stern showing the Transom has been removed as well as the engine beds. The task: To rebuild such a wreck with little to go on apart from a pile of boat bit and no photo's or drawing to go by. A bit of a blind zigsaw.

At this point I was reunited with the motor launch and took on the rebuild job. It was in a poor state as all that was left was the hull without out its transom and a pile of boat bits beside it in a back garden. I asked the owners whether they would consider selling the boat to me. They said make us an offer and we will see. They eventually said yes and I then started the rebuild. I took it to a friend's barn and set about the rebuild in my spare time. It took four months of weekends and evenings, but it was well worth it in the end when she was back on the water.


Motor Launch Tessa back in water after rebuild, but before engine refit as the boat needed to take up after being out of the water for over a year and after major hull repairs.

After having it for a couple of years I decided to sell her, to a couple on the southern Broads and to the best of my knowledge she is still sailing to this day.

Simon Papendick is a WBB member, freelance boat builder and marine engineer. His company J-Star Boat Services is based in Great Clacton in Essex.

No comments:

Post a Comment