Wednesday, October 29, 2008

"New" Bandsaw!!

I finally brought home the bandsaw I traded for.  This beauty was built by the Jones Superior Machine Co. of Chicago, IL.  I am doing research on it but still have a ways to go.  The man I got it from bought it at auction in the 1970's for @ $130.00.
The machine specs as far as I know at this point include:
  Overall height 7ft.
  Width of cut is 18" (throat from blade)
   Table is 24"x24" (not original, blade hole not cut out yet)
  Length of blade, a wopping 150"!
  Weight of machine, I'm guessing about 350-400#
       (the arm is solid cast iron)
  Belt driven, 1 hp motor (not attached but I have it).
  I think that the original paint was a shade of green but will know more later.
Anyway I thought it was a great deal considering I traded 14 cubic feet of medium grade vermiculite and 4 cf of sphagnum moss for it.
Check out pictures of this great saw in my Curlew photo album.
Andy

2 comments:

  1. Wow that is a handy saw I'll tell ya... Ought to be good enough for some re-sawing jobs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Larry,   I need new tires for the wheels as the bottom wheel is the only one left and is totally worn out.  I can get replacement tires from WOODCRAFT.  http://www.woodcraft.com/ at a pretty reasonable price so will go that route as the saw manufacturer has been out of business since the 1930's...   I am working on plans for a blade gaurd and resaw carriage - will share them when they are finalized.   Andy

    ReplyDelete