Thursday, October 9, 2008

Tabu Build

Yes Tabu is an old design but so is the Star class boat which to my mind is the epitomy of small boat sailing.  I have started my Tabu in earnest and would like to share images of my progress Having a bit of lofting experience, I find developing a working set of drawings challenging but not overwhelming. FAST is my objective with Tabu! I have varied the design a bit to that end. Design plans propose a hull weight of 175 lbs. with sail area at 165 sq. ft. I am shooting for a 130 lb. hull delivering 200 sq. ft. of sheet to the wind. The accompanying photos will depict my approach to weight conservation while maintaining strength.

Image #1 – Tabu Class Icon: Unable to find a Tabu class sailboat icon to display on the sail, I developed my own – Tabu class sailboat?

Image #2 – Hollow Dagger Board & Rudder: Using 3/16', mahogany ply with internal spline for shape, the rudder weighs 8 ozs.. and the dagger board 16ozs.before the Dynel covering.

Image #3 – Main Frame: My experience building fast motocross motorcycles in the '80s taught me that holes will disperse stresses in a stressed member with the added benefit that holes don't weigh very much. Light weight translates to higher speed with the same power input.

Image # 4 – Main Frame In Bondage. Level, square, and plumb are good things

4 comments:

  1. David - Continue with the work.  I find the frame especially intriguing.  Will be interested to hear how it works out.  I am just posing this as a question so don't take this the wrong way...   The weight reduction technique of incorporating holes has normally been done with monotypic materials like plastics and metals.  Does wood with its annular rings invite splitting with it being put under stresses of twisting and shearing?.  IF so, how would plywood work as apposed to solid wood?   Keep going - looks great!   p.s.  Icon is just right...   Andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of shop time lately. Here are some images of my work.   First image is the mast frame spread across my bench and table saw.   Second image is the mast frame in working position.   Third image is mast construction finished BC (before shellac) with diamond stays attached.  20' mast weighing in at 24 pounds

    Attachment: Mast Frame.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some progress made - boat is in false assembly (screws but no glue) for joint fitting and fairing. There is certainly a boat in there somewhere

    Attachment: DSC_0013s.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats a racing boat if I have ever seen one!  You can almost see 'er slicing over the waves!   Andy

    ReplyDelete