Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Turning Cold Here...

Up here in Northern Wisconsin our trees have all shed their clothing, the winds are out of the NW, we've had flurries off and on and its time to completely move into the garage/boat shed for the winter.  I had hoped to figure out some sort of auxillary heat for the winter but I am thinking it is not going to happen as the coffers are empty right now (for "frivolous" things).
 
The only thing I might try is a water heating solar panel on the roof with a circulating pump.  However it can easily get to 25 deg below F.   I am afraid it would just freeze and break.  Has anyone tried using something like mineral oil or some other oil for this type of thing.  I am trying to think o something that would not freeze easily...
 
Any Ideas???
 
Andy

4 comments:

  1. Hi Antifreeze ? you put it in the cars yes no? windturbine ? burn old oil from friers ? I am on a roll ! insulate the garage? make a smaller poly type tunnel in the garage smaller space easier to heat? woodburning stove no not the old boats please hope that helps? Bogsdolics

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy,  a friend of mine in Alaska has used anti-freeze in the heating system for his house and large shop for many years. He placed PVC pipe in a serpentine pattern under the flooring, then hooked it up to a water heater filled with Glycol and pushes it around with a small pump attached to a themostat. He out in the shop at -30 degrees, on his back working under trucks in blessed warmth! Obviously the buildings are well insulated. He's 102 miles out of Anchorage and loses power frequently, and never has had a freeze up in the system. Will  

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are so smart!  I am going to do some more investigating into this.  The systems intrigue me.  You live your whole life working in an unheated shop and then out of the blue you get a bug to do something about it.  Realistically this is not going to happen until I get my own place to live instead of a rental but I want to do it right so will be persuing research and planning....   Thanks, Andy

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys are so smart! I am going to do some more investigating into this. The systems intrigue me. You live your whole life working in an unheated shop and then out of the blue you get a bug to do something about it. Realistically this is not going to happen until I get my own place to live instead of a rental but I want to do it right so will be persuing research and planning.... Thanks, Andyturning off your water heater

    ReplyDelete