Thursday, October 23, 2008

Used Snipe... A Bust

I had alluded earlier to the fact that I had been offered an old wooden Snipe sailboat for free.  Went to pick it up tonight and unfortunately after seeing it I had to decline.  While the hull is still whole, I am afraid of a lot of dryrot.  It had been fiberglassed at some point and the fg was so damaged from UV that the cloth was fully exposed - some of the hardware had already been stripped, mast was rotted, rudder stock was gone -well that about paints the picture. 
 
While I think with a lot of effort the boat could be restored, I don't have the time, finances or space to do it.  The owner is not going to dispose of the hull until spring so I have several months to change my mind  lol.
 
Andy

3 comments:

  1. Hi Andy thats as shame ,bet it was exciting going to see it never the less, A few years ago I was offered a  wooding sailing, while I was at Loch Lomond sailing my old dinghy and at the time I was building my rowing so was unable to take on the project but I now wish I had went and had a look, Bogsdolics  

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bogs, how did the family trip go?  Hope you had a great time!   Andy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andy the trip was great weather could have been kinder to us the wife was to busy with the kids and never got any pictures of the boat on the water,I think I will adjust the leathers on the oars up the shaft a little more, Took the oldest [6} out fishing on first day never caught but had great time, on second day took him to a fly fisher ! a small pond where they put fish in and you pay to catch, I cast out and Aaron wound in and caught three rainbows all about the 1 pound mark his first fish so he had a ball, The only down side about an hours drive away from the loch and I reaslised I had left the lights and number plate, it would have cost more in fuel to go back so we just left them ,then further down the road I got done for speeding so the trip endend on a downer ,till we down loaded the pictures then just remeber the good points if my memory will let me, Bogsdolics.

    ReplyDelete