Saturday, November 4, 2006

New Job

For those of you who know me, I would like to share whats been happening with me.  I closed my business last weekend after 10 years of ownership.  My flower shop was begun in 1907 as a greenhouse/florist and has been in continuous business since that time.  It only had 3 previous owners plus myself in its 99+ yr history.  Unfortunately, the 'floral' climate has changed dramatically in the past 15 years with dept. stores (sic. Wal-Mart/Sam's Club) and grocery stores getting into the act.  In larger cities this would probably be absorbed, but in our town of 8,000 it has been our downfall...  Anyway, while I was looking forward to celebrating 100 yrs (the fourth oldest active business in our 5 surrounding counties) the end has come and so I move on...
 
I have now taken a full-time job at our local ACE Hardware store.  This has definite benefits.  I get to work around tools, nuts, bolts, tools, etc - I get great benefits including a generous discount and access to a huge array of tools and materials including many marine items which can be ordered through the corporate headquarters - Good regular hours, steady paycheck, etc.
 
Anyway, I look forward to the future...

4 comments:

  1. Dear Andy,               First off, I didn't get to know you much.. I would like to say, hate to see ya go.. Since I have send few messages through here... I helped to refresh my thoughts on bad boat building days... Sharing experiences along the group in here. I really like this site, Thanks to Mr. Kruez for his effort..                Wal-Mart done it fair share, cutting off alot it's suppliers and businesses throughout the United States.. The main office in Bentonville is the one to blame. Poorer people are going back to K-Mart. I would too... I am starting to dislike Wal-Mart for everything they've changed.                 Are you still be building boats?                Yeah, I could picture myself in ACE Hardware, all them nuts and bolts, large supplies of tools.. Geeee, I would be drooling  like a little kid in front of candy store...                 I wishes many lucks to you.. God Bless you                                                     and Good Luck to you,                                                                          Larry                 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Larry:  have no fear, I'll be around.  Right now I don't get much computer time but yes I am working on my daysailer as I can.  Unfortunately my garage (boat shop) is getting filled up with stuff from the business and so work space is getting rather cramped.  I can't afford a rental storage unit and my landlord won't let me put up an extra shed or shelter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andy,   Sorry to hear you are closing your business. Glad to hear the ace hardware is helping to make it all better. I too walk into any hardware store and get enveloped into a space and time rif of sorts. It's a very rare occasion that I can get in and out of a hardware store in less than an hour. Not because the service is poor, simply because I am allways looking around at all the stuffs. I could see the days moving by very quickly if I worked at a hardware store. Also, the HWS areound here all sell plants, flowers, and trees all of spring summer and fall. They usually do very well because the walmart stores plants don't look so good, know what I mean?

    Kruez

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yet again Walmart does its thing.  Statistics show that when a Walmart comes into the area that there will be a net job loss and that all the gains at Walmart are very low waged when compared to what is lost.  The ratio is that for every 2 jobs Walmart creates then 3 will be lost in the community.    I don't shop at Walmart or Sams club unless no other store is available and I can't do without.   There are advantages to working for someone else.  Mostly it's that you don't have to think about work when you're not there.  Unless you want to that is.   Best wishes on your changes.   MArk B. P.S.  My last trip to the hardware store took 2+ hours.  I enjoyed every minute of it.  

    ReplyDelete