Sunday, April 9, 2006

Winter is over...

I took my stripper out for the first paddle of the season yesterday late afternoon.  What a treat - clear blue skies, calm, and about 53 deg.  Our lake is still frozen in the N and S 1/3's but I happen to live on the west shore of the middle third (about 300 acres) across from where the river inflow is.  This is basically ice free (there are still a few floes).  Chickadees and nuthatches were in the trees along the shoreline, an eagle was sailing on the light updrafts above me and my canoe was smoothly cutting through the water.  There is such pleasure in the movement of a canoe - I fealt like I could go on forever, gliding through the sun and shadows along the shoreline as I toured the open water, renewing my acquaintance with the features of my home lake.
 
Much to my pleasure and surprise an otter popped up right next to me as I was paddling through a little bay near my house.  This is kind of unusual as "my" lake is right in the middle of a city of 8,200 people and something this wild doesn't show up every day.  It swam right around the canoe and at one point almost "stood up" on its back legs in the water to take a look at me.  It was almost as if it was asking if there were any fish in that hollow "log".  It eventually swam off under water (you could see the air bubbles).  Later I was pleased to run into the otter again back in a little connecting bay.  I tried to get some pictures (camera wasn't working right at the first encounter) and will post them if they come out.
 
Oh yeah, we have at least 20 loons on the lake right now.  They are pairing off and will eventually move further north but for right now we get to enjoy their wilderness music all day and night from out on the water.   One or two pairs usually nest on this lake.
 
Hope everyone is having a good spring and able to get out on the water as much as possible.
 
Andy
 
In Nature There Is Order...

No comments:

Post a Comment