Monday, April 10, 2006

Chris Craft Kit Boat Question

Last year I wrote that I had purchased a CC Kit boat, that I thought was Barracuda model and was having it professionally restored. I have since discovered, thanks to a couple of more enlightened people, that is is the Zephyr model. The major difference is that the Zephyr model does not have a walk through, has a more narrow beam, slightly lighter in weight and a few other differences.
This Zephyr model is one that Captain Jim Shotwell is featuring in his ads and articles about his new line of replica CC Kit boats, sold under the name of James Craft Boats ( jamescraftboats.com ). If you haven't read or heard, these are exact replicas of the CC Kit Boats sold in the Mid-50s. Jim has been displaying his new kit boat line at many antique and classic boat shows and are certainly worth considering as an individual or family project.
Now to my question. Do any of you have a CC Kit Boat, Zephyr model and/or pictures of same that you can share with me? The restoration (actually "refinishing" as the 50 year old plywood hull was in excellent shape and did not need any wood replaced or repaired) is almost complete and I want to have it as accurate to original as possible.
If you have pictures or text details, please email them to me or advise as to where I can find them. I hope to show this at several boat shows this year, probably starting with the ACBS show in St. Michaels on June. I do not know if there is a judging class for kit boats or if I should just bring it to show just for the fun of it.
Thanks for your help. Dick Burkhard.
Wilmington, DE and North East, MD
Email: dickburkhard@verizon.net

No comments:

Post a Comment