Monday, March 16, 2009

Andy's Ramblin's - Continual entrys

September, 2009 Update  (Please go to the bottom of the blog for most recent update)

March 15, 2009

One of our illustrious colleagues on WBB (Wooden Boat Builder) asked me recently how I came about choosing the Curlew as my next project to build and so I am adding this little memoir to my notes here...

It started many years ago (around 1977) because when I was around 16 years old I had a paper route and worked at a Boy Scout camp and had earned a fair amount of money.  During this time I had become, through the Boy Scouts, initiated to water sports like canoeing (heavy, almost indestructible Grumman's) and sailing (we played "pirates" on a small impound lake on Sailfish boats).  I became enamored with sailing and the concept that I could harness the wind to take me places.  So, with my hard-earned paper route money I bought a used 10' sailing dinghy built of oak ribs and mahogany plywood.  The mast was footed in aircraft aluminum and the top third of the spar was made of spruce, I think.  The boom was spruce, the mainsail was of saggy nylon, there was no jib and half of the chromed fittings were chromed no more and brass was showing through.  All of this for $100.  My Dad drove me in our F100 pickup to fetch her home.  I spent hours cleaning her up, hand-scrubbing the sail and finished by painting the hull with some aqua-blue marine paint I got at the local hardware store (I think it was Petit's). 

She was taken out to my Grandparent's summer house on Big Cedar Lake near Slinger, WI.  There I spent many happy hours on the water.  Late that fall I was up to the lake with my mom - I think she was closing up the house for the winter and helping my elderly grandparents get ready for the move back to Milwaukee.  I took the boat out for one last time.  It was a cold, grey day with steady winds.  As it was the last sail of my first season I ventured way over to the big east end of the lake where the sailing regattas were always held (I think that I was drawn there by the thought of maybe competing in some of the beginner classes) I was on a running reach and some how got knocked down by a strong gust.  I went over and started to turn turtle.  The boat had no additional buoyancy other than it was made of wood and ply.  The mast had no running rigging and so became un-stepped.  So here I am with no life jacket on, I am trying to hang on to the boat to keep from drowning and the mast because I was afraid it would sink and somehow I was trying to use my third hand to wave a red boat cushion over my head to signal anyone for help.

I was extremely fortunate that I am here today to tell this tale as a man had seen me from shore (he was probably admiring my fine little craft and my expert seamanship) as I flipped over.  He quickly jumped into his fishing boat and raced out to rescue me... I was towed back to shore shivering and freezing...  I only sailed her that one summer - she was stored first in my grandpa's garage at the lake and then got transferred to a neighbor's boathouse the following year.  I was busy doing other things and lost track of her.  I think that I eventually gave her to that gentleman's grand kids - I never saw her again...

 

7 comments:

  1. Hey Andy,
    Is the weather warming up any?
    With that much snow, I bet it is soggy and muddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Larry, sorry I haven't "checked in" for several days. things are very hectic at work today. The new owners of the hardware store I manage have now taken over and everything is in turmoil. Not neccessarily bad, just different and new in a lot of ways...

    Yup, we are finally warming up a bit with temps in the high 40's, low 50's. I am actually off today after 65 hours of work in the past 5 days. We have sunshine today, the Ice is coming off of the lake. I might toss the canoe in today for a paddle... I do have a lot of yard clean-up to do also so I guess I'll just play it by ear....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andy,
    Didn't you used to owned a business? Something like a Floral shop?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Larry, yes I owned an 8,500 sf greenhouse and flower shop business for 10 years. After 9/11 the business went steadily downhill as the economy kept worsening and cut-rate businesses like Wal-Mart, Aldi's, and internet sales claimed more and more of my traditional-style business. I finally closed up in the fall of '06 and took on the hardware manager's job in a large multi-faceted store. I must say that the greenhouse was great but this new adventure is great too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is sad to hear about it.. All the sweetness of small businesses are disappearing these days.. Even good old fashion barber shops too..
    Mom and Pop stores are most relaxin' experience for me, no rustles and bustles like those of Wally World and other big chain stores..
    My business isn't that big or blooming any further.. I been wanting to add some crafts in my site, but again.. Inventory will just sit there and gather dust.
    My cuz did stuff like that with fleamarkets and swap meets for short while. Didn't earn much to pay for his booth rentals and gasoline for the trip back home..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay lots of setbacks here. I am in the process of getting un-hitched and so now am moving to a new location. My weeks have been busy with work and personal stuff and so I have not been able to work on the boat as I would like...

    On the other hand, I am now moving to a house with a large 2-1/2 car attached garage of which I get to use half - enter the new "boat shop". I have basically started staying at the new house and over the next couple of weeks move my shop tools and of course "Curlew".

    I am actually quite excited about all of this and see a new chapter opening up in my life. I might even go back to school. I have been checking into traditional boat-building schools. There is one in Michigan that looks promising...

    I will post more as things evolve...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's very nice to hear from you.. I think you will be happy with new house with a big garage..

    Boat building classes might be nice, I don't know what anyone get out of it..
    Since you been building Curlew, you got the basic knowledge in boatbuilding.. Still wouldn't hurt to learn more tricks and tips

    ReplyDelete