Sunday, February 13, 2005

diagonals

Hi Folks,
 
Ok, I've read Chapelle, Pardey, Frisbie and a few others on boat building. Every body agrees that diagonals are a great thing, but no one seems to say exactly how they are applied in the lofting.
 
I understand what I'm looking at on a set of plans that show the buttock lines, the water line lines and the station lines. but I can't seem to understand what I'm supposed to be looking at when I see a diagonal line. How does that line help me cut or bend the frames? Is that what it is even used for?
 
Speaking of frames, how do I know what angle to cut the outside edge on? As the frame travels from the bulwark down to the keel, the angle on the outside edge is going to change (and more notably the closer to the stem you get). Do you just take the angle from where the WL lines intersect the station lines?
 
Thanks,
 
Frank

2 comments:

  1. I have an understanding but I wouldn’t call it complete or even thorough. Nor could I explain it. I too have read Chapelle and a few others as well. My favorite read: In Greg Rossel's Book "Building Small Boats" he does a really good job of explaining it. All though I am a high school teacher, and I have read his chapter three times I am by no means ready to give a class on lofting. In his chapter "Lofting Demystified" page 68 "The Diagonals", it begins with: "Despite Rumors to the contrary, running the diagonals is more pleasant and easier than having your taxes audited. In fact, diagonals have received bad press for years, and really, the lines are no more difficult to run or understand than the waterlines or buttocks. The main thing to remember is that each diagonal is a freestanding view unto itself and just happens to be cohabiting on the grid with the half-breadths and other diagonals." Than after three pages of very nice illustrations and descriptions he ends with: "and there you have it. No problem." I recommend giving it a read. Here's hoping someone else in the group can be a bit more helpful... As far as the compound curve on the outside edge of the frames. The way I have seen it done is simply faired by eye with the help of a batten. That's how it was done on the Dennis Sullivan (Wisconsin Lake Schooner Education Association's lake schooner they built in Milwaukee a few years back). There must be a more scientific method. Wish they still had the build pics on-line. Once she was launched they removed all the progress photos from the website. -Kruez-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kruez,   Sorry to take so long to get back to you. I was away on work crap,... and never anywhere nice.   Frank

    ReplyDelete