Friday, February 18, 2005

Am I crazy to buy a 1968 wooden 57' CC Connie?

I am contemplating the purchase of a 1968 wooden hull 57' Chris Craft Connie for crusing on the Chesapeake, the ICW and perhaps live aboard in Florida and other warm climes for a few months each winter. Maybe even the Great Circle in a few years?
We live in Delaware and boat mostly on the Upper Chesapeake. 
Am I crazy to think this makes any sense? I just love wooden classic boats and can get a lot for the money, the boat has surveyed well in the past, the diesels have been majored about 600 hours ago and all systems seem sound. 
She needs interior refinishing, new furniture, topside brightwork refinishing, however the bottom and hull have been recently repainted. I am now recently retired, need something to occupy my idle hands and time and I am reasonably handy when I want to be which means the "honey do" list doesn't get much attention.
I am now studying for my "6 pack" captain's license in the hopes of becoming a better boater. Most of my boating experience is with a 1987 32' Marinette Auminum Cruiser that I owned from 1989 to 2000. 
Is this beautiful classic suited for what I want it to do or should I give up a dream and get real?
Your honest opinions will be seriously appreciated.
Thanks, Dick Burkhard.

4 comments:

  1. This message has been deleted by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say go for it too... Thats one of my dreams. Consider it an investment. That boat in pristene condition is worth 10 times what you will probably pay for this one in it's current state. Pics?   No sir, not crazy.   Might want to pay for another survey just so you know for certain as to what you are getting into.   GShermanGood puchased one recently too check out his pics.   Be sure and look at Tom Kenny's site www.ftkltd.com   -Kruez-

    ReplyDelete
  3.   I will personally come out there and slap your dog if you don't buy her!  How can you question not following your dream!?   Do it.., do it now!  Sign the letter of intent.., if she passes a thorough survey.., buy her.   By-the-way.., the 'Honey-Do' list never ends on alive aboard cruising boat.., be it wood, steel, or 'glass'.  That's just part of the package.   I am on the west coast.., looking to build my escape live-aboard.., cruise the Puget Sound.., Canada and the Alaskan Inland Passage in the summer.., then down to Mexico - Panama in the winter.   Take a few photo's - love to see her.   Where I live a guy bought Dean Martin's old Connie - I believe it's a 55 footer.., and you see her cruising the lake every once in a while - great looking boat.   Repeat - Do It !! d'lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dickinfo,   So did ya buy it? huh, did ya, did ya, did ya?   -Kruez-

    ReplyDelete