Wednesday, April 23, 2008

New Canoe -

I am considering what I want to build for keeps, minding I need to keep weight to <100 lbs, and carrying capicity at least 350, for day trips on calm waters.
 
I am considering about 15 ft OAL, 24" at widest on bottom, with length on bottom of 14 ft, any where from 12/14" deep on sides. I'd rather do the single panel sides (pirogue) for simplicity but could do multipanel sides. I have considered the D/K touring from GEM, but that means I'd have to build it outside a climate controlled enviroment, if I stay at about 15 I can build it in my cooled/heated shop and get it downstairs when done.
I am trying to decide weather to stick with stitch and glue, with glass tape, and paint. Or glued chine and brads.
 
I'm wondering if a brad nailer/cedar chines/glue/ external fiberglass tape and paint wouild be easier or harder than stitch and glue
 
I have any wood working tools and skills necessary, If I go stitch and glue, I'd go with 3m marine or something equil for glue, and fiberglass tape on the external seams,
 
I really dont want to get into mixing epoxy, what little I have done with epoxy in the past has not worked out well for me.
 
There will be no hurry on the project, so I want to build something that will last with proper care.
 
Any Input or advise will be appreciated.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a glide-easy is the canoe for you. Excelent plans and detailed build instructions are available at http://www.svensons.com/boat/?p+RowBoats/glide_easy It was my first boat build and was not difficult - great fun. I ammended the plans by laminating the outside with eaqstern red cedar for a stunning effect. The boat was built for the Arkansas White River that has an uneven limestone bed so there is a lot of fiberglass. Included are a few pictures of the build to give an idea of the process. Good luck in finding your perferct boat!   David

    Attachment: 2.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry RJW, the URL I gave was incorrect (just a little)  The plus sign (+)  between the "?p" and "Row" should be an equal sigh (=). That will get you directly to the plans.   David

    ReplyDelete
  3. cool looking boat, I'll check out the plans, still trying to decide what and when to start. been busy this summer.

    ReplyDelete