Tuesday, October 25, 2005

First Time Advice

I am about to bring home my first all wooden boat, a 1964 20' Cruisers Inc Super Vacationer. The previous owner has stated there were issues with leakage around the keel and that in the past 4 years he had made a repair to a small section around the keel (1'x 2' either side of Keel) using epoxy.

 

I have read a lot, both pro and con, about the use of epoxy patches and repairs (like the West System) on wooden boats. Being a first time wood boat restorer, I want to make sure I do the job correctly and that all my work will last as long as the boat.

 

I guess I am fortunate that 1) I am a long time woodworker (mostly furniture), 2) I am very familiar with composites and plastics (I have designed small composite aircraft and was an engineer for Hexcel composites) and 3) I initially have very little money sunk into this vessel. But I really want to proceed along the correct path and make as few mistakes as possible (at least no unrecoverable mistakes).

 

Without trying to start a giant debate – I really would appreciate any sage advice from all of the members of this group. Should I start ripping out all of the soft wood (probably the entire keel) or just go the West System method?

 

Thanks

 

Ivan

1 comment:

  1. I am a 100% epoxy plywood guy, think it is a great way to build boats. I even sell epoxy, if you want to buy some for your repair, but if your boat is a traditional build I think it is best to stay away from composites. It may be a great quick fix, but the two just don't mix very well for the long haul.             ---Joel---

    ReplyDelete