Friday, November 5, 2010

Dory finished

Hey folks,

Been awhile since last time I posted something..

Well I got a treat for your eyes..

I just finished my 4 years old project.. Yeah yeah yeah I know.. It should've been completey built way sooner than 4 years.. After it been sitting outdoor unfinished, no paint or nothing, not even a tarp or cover..Yes it weathered pretty bad.. All the wood even the plywood turned into some dark gray color..I were doing a spring yard work, throwing out trash and junk.. I took a look at the dory sitting there high on the sawhorses.. Givin' it some thoughts.. Man, I would hate to cut 'er up and haul it out..
So, I went around with 2 pound rubber mallet, hit in places listening for signs of rot... Stood back and decide if I'm gonna keep it and finish it, or what.....
Work began.. I sanded entire outside hull with 60 grit, in worse area I use high speed angle grinder mounted with cupped wire brush..repaired, fill in screw holes, ordered some epoxy and glass.. Basically finish up entire hull exterior.. Flip it over and tear out un-wanted box seats, add risers, new gunnels, more knees and bracing, installed oar sockets.. it took 3 quarts of buff to paint inside, half the quart of white for trim, half quart of blue, two quarts of gray...
She is completey built and ready in August 2010, and launched November 3rd 2010

8 comments:

  1. Note to add....
    The pictures and video of the dory is on WBB homepage and on my site

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larry,

    The boat looks great... Congrats on getting her finished up and in the water... Looks like it may have been a little chilly out on launch day?

    Kruez...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey only 4 years why the rush, isn't it amazing how time and tide wait for no man,
    looks good by the way,
    Graeme

    ReplyDelete
  4. im going on 6 yrs ... so whats the rush... life, deaths and births happens not to mention sh..t happens.. as long as you keep the vision... I am almost complete as well being foiled by the afore mentioned several times.. but keeping the vision..
    Ronnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bye the way love the tie- dye t-shirts..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Ronnie...

    I got lotsa of them... They seem to fit with many things...

    The only thing bad about 'em... it attracts bees....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, it's a bit chilly (wind is chilly)

    Chops made it interestin' and fun, waves are like miniature rollercoaster.. love the sound of wave slappin' against the hull...
    If it a bit warmer, I prolly set a small sail on that dory..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, it's a bit chilly (wind is chilly)

    Chops made it interestin' and fun, waves are like miniature roller coaster.. love the sound of wave slappin' against the hull...
    If it a bit warmer, I prolly set a small sail on that dory..

    ReplyDelete