Sunday, November 27, 2005

Holiday Doldrums???

Seems like things are kind of quiet at WBB this past week.  I can only assume that everyone is busy with the holidays.  I too have not had any time to think about my projects between work and family.
 
Today I vow to change that by making a tyvek (typar) sleeve for my cedarstrip canoe.  It is going to have to stay outdoors this winter unless I can beg some space for storage with someone.  We have been in the 20's to 30's (deg F) daytime up here in northern WI with a couple of snowfalls and freezing rain.  Today its currently 36 deg. with temps dropping throughout the day with snow for Monday.
 
The temporary plastic tarp I had on my daysailer hull failed me and so a few days ago I spent 3 hours chipping out 4 inches of ice and sponging veeerrrrryyy cold water from inside the hull.  I now have it tarped well.  I made some plywood arches to support the tarp and bungees to tie the tarp down.  I am also going to finish the rear roller supports on the trailer so the boat is not sitting cock-eyed on the trailer.
 
I found a roll of film (of which I had developed yesterday) which has a few pics of the plywood scarfing jig I built.  I also drew up some line drawings of a new improved (I hope) model I am going to build.  I will post them as soon as I get them scanned onto the computer.
 
Hope everyones' holidays are going well...
 
Andy
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

5 comments:

  1. Hey Andy,   The holidays are upon us and the Packers are depressing me. It's cold here in Indy too. Is Tyvek water proof? Good to here from you. Lets get some forum action going here...   Bill (Kruez)    

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey the Pack is still the Pack...   I would guess that because Tyvek (Typar) is used as a vapor barrier on exterior walls it would afford considerable moisture protection.  I do not believe it is "waterproof" as it is a loose (however tight) woven product.  I have heard that it makes a dandy, inexpensive cover though.    I also think that it might work out as an inexpensive emergency sail when cut and sewn... I don't know...   Glad to know I'm not alone in the world, take care.  I'll let you know how the Tyvek works out.   Andy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes,   Tyvek can be used as a sail Making the Tyvek Sail . A couple of saw horse brackets, a long 2x4 and a good tarp will do the trick as well. Will help it breath a little better too (dry out). Especialy in that dry Wisconsin winter when the ice evaporates.   The Pack is still the Pack... Heave you been to our www.indypackerbackers.com site yet?   Kruez

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice website Kruez, are you an owner of the pub or just a supporting (go Leinies) member of the group?   And yes I will be watching the game - go Packers!!!!   Good sail making article, I might try it next summer...   Andy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am the VP of the club. put together most of the historical pages.. Join up and talk some Packers Smack... We have members from all over the world on that site as well. We will be in Indy watching the game with at least 100 fans at our local headquearters (Fox and Hound) here in Indy...   Happy Holidays

    ReplyDelete