Saturday, July 2, 2005

Close Call...

Had a close call Wed night:  A wild wind storm ripped through our town here in NW Wisconsin at about Midnight.  We are a small town of 8,200 people.  We lost over 800 (mostly mature) oak, ash, maple, basswood, pine, and spruce in the city limits with many, many homes and/or cars damaged.  My in-progress daysailer missed a crushing blow by mere feet from a 70 year old white ash.  Unfortunately, we had really hairy "twisting" winds (weather service says straight-line winds...  Me thinks tornado that did'nt touch ground) and the ash, which had a heck of a lot of good board feet in it, was totally shattered, no lumber salvageable.  My own buildings were virtually unscathed but my neighbors were not so lucky  - severe damage every where you look.  Over 2000 homes in the county went without power, some still don't have any.  My power was finally hooked back up late this afternoon.  I couldn't get my darn 30 yr old generator to fire up (see new message) and lost alot of the perishable fresh cut flowers that my floral shop uses.
 
Bright side - work shall continue on the daysailer!...
 
Regards, Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment