Sunday, April 24, 2005

tips for boat builders?

Here are some tips I have picked up,
I use high quiality exterior house hold paint over marine paint on wooden boats as it has a higher opaque and will cover those small imperfections;
have you evey thought of using small thin plastic cable ties instead of wire,
As you will see in my site I used temperary blocks of wood instead of  the stich method 
If there is any dents in the wood wet a cloth, place  it over the dent then place a hot iron quickly over the cloth the wood swells taking out the dent.
Do add any tips you have.

2 comments:

  1. Heres one I read about on the Boat Building Community website several years ago and have now applied to the sailboat I am building now.   When filleting the interior of the hull, I use a plastic spoon (I buy them in boxes of 50 for about a buck).  I take a sharp pair of shears and nip off about 1/8" of the tip.  The epoxy/filler doesn't tend to stick to the spoon and it gives a nice, neat fillet which curves nicely into the angles of the two "parts."    The tip cut can be adjusted for different size fillets and they are disposable.  I can usually get 4 -5 batches of epoxy/filler layed before I have to throw it away because it does eventually get too gunked up.  As cheap as they are I don't bother to clean them.   P.s., Good tips bogsdolics...   Andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andy Another won which I heard was using flour as a thichener for glue using different types of flour giving different colours helping to blend in with the colours of wood and you cxan cook with the left overs. bosdolics.

    ReplyDelete